Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thoughts on Kabul and Parent Involvement

As I reflect on the work I have done in regards to my ARP this semester, I have realized that parents need to be educated on how to best help their children to succeed in school. There is a direct link between student scores and parent involvement, and the key to succees in school is an involved parent.The difficulty that I have seen in Afghanistan is that there is very little education to begin with. Education was removed completely during the Taliban era, so education had no place in establishing a community that valued the pursuit of education.Today, with limited education, and very few women with more than a 6th grade education, children are denied the participation of their parents that is so vital to their academic success in life.Unfortunately the cycle continues, since parents who don’t value education will produce offspring that also will not value education, and the cycle will continue to pass on to future generations unless something is done about it…My hope is for the children.

No comments: