Sunday, July 20, 2008

Week # 11

How has the course been effective in broadening your perspective and skill set for managing technology for change?

I believe this course has been extremely effective in conveying the principles of collaboration, teamwork and broadening our minds to the effective use of technology. Amazingly, I can look back and be a witness to the tremendous learning that has taken place this year. I believe that we have all become “better, more powerful versions of ourselves.” What lies ahead for all of us is limitless. Our doors are open to the opportunities given to us all. We have learned that through determination, hard work, perseverance and patience, anything is possible. It is our responsibility now as educated citizens to display our leadership capabilities and create powerful change. We should never forget our humble beginnings, yet strive to improve ourselves while creating plentiful learning opportunities for growth. Our goal, I believe, as leaders in education, is to promote a renewed passion in the teaching profession despite conflicting circumstances and above all hold on to the rope of patience and perseverance. Our students deserve our devotion, commitment and boundless enthusiasm for the love of learning.

Week #10

What types of influence do I have in my current local and global communities? How can I expand that influence?

As an elementary school teacher for many years now, I am fortunate to have a rewarding career and that I am able to have lasting impact on my students. The OMET program has allowed me to channel my interests, and create powerful learning experiences for myself and those around me. I have learned a great deal from my professors and cadremates, and look forward to expand my influence of positive change to my local and global community in years to come. Through my Action Research Project, I was able to have positive impact on my immediate community as I worked with students and their parents in order to help bridge the gap between students and parent participation and involvement in their studies. As members of a school community, our goal as educators is to prepare our students to be literate, creative, collaborative thinkers who will be given unconditional guidance and support from their parents as they strive to reach their academic and personal potential and become lifelong learners and productive citizens in a multicultural society. For this reason, my passion is to continue to be involved with my students and parents and share my knowledge and love of learning with them.

Week #9

From where does global change derive? How can we use global change to promote deeper learning across the globe?

Change can never happen overnight. It has to come from a collective vision and shared mission. It is our responsibility as leaders on education to help establish powerful communities of chnge within our own environment which will in turn grow and extent to our outside community. I believe as Margaret Mead when she states, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

Week #7
From where does personal and local change derive? How can we use change to promote deeper learning as individuals and in our local settings?

I believe that personal change must come from within. I believe as Ghandi when he states that we must be the change we want to see in the world. In my own personal experience, I have witnessed a tremendous change within my workplace community. I have impacted parents as they continue to understand their powerful role as their child’s first teacher. Essentially, I see my role in my local community as an instrument for the domino effect. The more I involve myself with parents and support them with their needs and concerns as their child’s first role model, the more they will gain self-confidence in themselves as powerful instruments of change and help successfully guide their children through their educational career.

Week #6

How does globalization change the needs and demands on US, K12, higher education and corporate learning environments?

I believe we are a melting pot. It is because of the diverse cultures, customs and beliefs that we are able to flourish as a society. However, students today are not allowed to be critical thinkers, and are often spoon fed. The problem with today’s education is that the US does not prepare students well to be critical thinkers of today’s multicultural society. On the other hand, technology can open doors to the learning experiences that can help students be successful in the global market.

Week #5

How do NCLB and the Spellings Commission affect change in the use of educational technology?

As an elementary school teacher for the past twelve years now, I am struggling to make sense of the effects of NCLB. I have not yet been able to successfully adopt the Open Court reading program for my students which basically asks teachers to read from the text on a daily basis since the daily lesson is already prepared beforehand. I have always felt the program to be very fast-paced and there is little time for review or time to allow students to assimilate the new concepts. The math program is just as intricately structured, and teachers as well as students feel pressured with time. It is worrisome for me to see the drastic changes evolving in today’s educational system. In the meantime, teachers continue to struggle with budget cuts, and few if any computers in the classroom. It is my hope to see some positive changes soon for the sake of the children, but in the meantime, I will continue to work in the best interests of my students by working with parents to bring donations to the school, get parent volunteers in the classroom and petition through grants to get as much funding as possible to purchase computers for the classroom.

No comments: